A LEVEL (OCR)
Physical Education is an ideal course for those who wish to develop their understanding of key issues within sport. You will study in detail anatomy & physiology, and the impact of exercise on the body systems. You will study the psychology of sports performance and how performers acquire and develop skills within sports.
You will also study contemporary issues, such as the impact of technology upon performance. For the practical component you will be assessed in your performance and analysis of one sport, and this will contribute to 30% of your overall mark.
This course will equip learners with both a depth and breadth of knowledge, understanding and skills relating to scientific, socio-cultural and practical aspects of physical education.
- PE teacher
- Sports coach
- Sports therapy/rehab
- Fitness instructor
- Sports psychology
- Sports nutrition
More than just a course
A-Level Physical Education allows learners to study PE in an academic setting, allowing them to critically evaluate their physical performance and apply their knowledge and understanding to aid in their understanding of this subject.
This course prepares learners for the further study of PE or Sports Science courses as well as other related subject areas such as Psychology, Sociology and Human Biology. Learners will also develop the transferable skills that are in demand by higher education and employers in all sectors of industry.
- Develop theoretical knowledge and understanding of the factors that underpin sport, and use this knowledge to improve performance.
- Understand how physiological states affect performance.
- Understand the key socio-cultural factors that influence people’s involvement in physical activity.
- Develop skills and techniques within sport.
- Develop your ability to analyse and evaluate to improve performance.
- Improve as effective and independent learners and as critical and reflective thinkers with curious and enquiring minds.
A minimum of 5 A*- C grades at GCSE including 2 B grades and at least C grades in English Language and Maths. A genuine interest in sport and physical activity. Ideally you should take part in a sport at a competitive level.
“PE has been a great subject to study, the lessons are always fun and different, and the range of topics covered is really interesting. The lessons are active and well organised, and the resources provided are really useful. I am going on to study Sport Science at University.”