Applied Science – QCF BTEC Level 3 (Pearson)
QCF BTEC Level 3 (Pearson)
The BTEC in Applied Science offers students the chance to continue their studies of all three sciences but in vocational scenarios, and with less emphasis on examinations than with the A-Level sciences.
We offer two different qualifications from the QCF specification:
- à Extended Diploma (3 A-Level equivalent)
- à Subsidiary Diploma (1 A-Level equivalent)
The course has a strong focus on developing practical skills within the laboratory and learning how science is carried out in industry. This is underpinned by the study of the key theoretical concepts and scientific principles common to all science course. As a wide ranging and varied course, the options for progressing into higher education and employment are also extremely varied:
- Pure sciences (biology, chemistry, physics)
- Biomedical science
- Zoological science
- Healthcare science
- Pharmaceutical science
- Forensic science
- And many more…
- Laboratory Research
- Chemical Engineering
- And many more…
About the Course
The Applied Science course covers a variety of general units from across all sciences, through to more specialised units like astrophysics, microbiology and industrial chemistry. The course uses a combination of assessment styles to give students confidence that they can apply their knowledge to succeed in the workplace. Students gain valuable organisational, time management and study skills to equip them well to continue learning on higher education courses and throughout their career.
- 100% coursework based assessment.
- Prepares students well for university style assignments and coursework.
- A hands-on course which gives a real insight into working in scientific industries.
- An experienced and highly trained team of skilled subject specialist teachers.
- A variety of trips and visits to local scientific industries, universities and museums.
To study Applied Science as an Advanced Vocational qualification you must have achieved at least.
- Grade 4s in your GCSE Combined Science
- 5 GCSEs at grade 4-9 including Maths.
We are an inclusive College and will consider all applications on a case by case basis at interview.
“I like the way we learn in BTEC Applied Science: I like the way I can construct my work independently.
I have been really well supported to pursue my career of choice and think about my options for next year”